Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A tightrope walk through the airwaves

Smart

I started this blog a couple of minutes ago and I'm into my second post already. Talk about setting things in motion (now don't get potty thoughts..grr). So, while the whole and soul purpose of this blog would technically be to list out happenings on my radio shows with a professional/personal perspective, I would still beg to digress here and there, with or without your permission.

So there was a mighty hauling of cable lines drawn outside our regular studio last monday, which meant that we were shifted to a nondescript little recording room that masqueraded as a studio. Well I'll tell you what I'm just about getting used to the fact that All India Radio has 2 computers (remember I'm a 6 yr war scarred veteran who's used to spools and records) and voila while my mindset adjustment is in process, I'm booted out to a recording room to do my show. So there's a control unit in this room which has a lot of scary looking antique buttons that look like they may set off a bomb timer. So during my drive time show at 6pm, I use the opportunity to goof around a little,learn the ropes of this transmitting and recording unit, mess up big time, but still stay happy that I have mastered this studio. Come 9pm, MAST 101.3, no surprises to mess ups for the most part. We're talking about funny stuff on the show. And I must say that when you let people belt out the funnies in their lives uninhibited, even the most trivial rubbish can evoke belly laughs. So I did have a good time, but yeh, had another hour to go.

Now I somehow develop this deep sense of security and beleive that the world's my oyester when I step into the groove for the International music hour, a show called The Rockbox, where I play rock music (no rock is not heavy metal, try arguing with me on that) of all forms and subgenres. But then you know its not all roses and lilies that surround your pond all the time, so nature or your studio equipment decides to water down your best laid plans sometimes and throw some new challenges. Its Murphy's Law at work man, don't blame me. So the good old CD player in the good old recording room, spat out a CD after I had proudly announced that I'd be playing Life is Beautiful by 6 am after it'd been requested for 4 to 5 weeks continously by a gentleman. Well it did'nt play. But I did get to play Shine by Collective Soul which I'd been dying to play for sometime now. Somewhere down the line, the duty officer (if you're familiar with the government, all that you do in an 'office' -music included- within your work timing constitutes 'duty'. So your show is also called 'duty', the security's job is also called 'duty'. so get used to 'duty') felt the music went a little too loud. Well I could'nt really talk the gentleman into the virtues of melodic death and prog metal. Among the many messages that came by, I could'nt help but notice one, which requested (a real request of sorts) if I could desist from playing anything satanic, even if I have'nt as yet. Since I like to personally address a lot of messages, I said I would do my bit to weed out unhealthy messages (try winning that battle with rock music) and I progressed to play one of my favorite classics Rock Bottom by UFO. Well mother of all horrors, I realized it had rich satanic content. I could'nt help but feel a little stupid and funny.

I've got some requests for the next monday show, and have some of my personal picks too. If you wish to add to the cart, go right ahead. Remember its got to be Rock music of some form (Britney Spears, Amy Winehouse and Justin Timberlake are not rock artists). I may play it based on the format of the show on the subsequent week or the weeks after. Oh while I'm at it, I might have a thursday 'duty' to fill too. Will play all the bubblegum you want then :-).

Rock On
J

Music blogs

Music Blog
Blog Directory

5 comments:

Pallo said...

..interesting.. scintillating.. bleh bleh.. :-) none of these i must say... your like one walkytalky interactive guide to making a possible blunder while on "duty"... :P

Unknown said...

oi boyo! i'm louvin it! hehe! i like d titbit where u were asked NOT 2 play satanic stuff! :P keep @ it! let us ignoramus' out here in d world kno a lil mo abt ur show & ur lil studio world!

Unknown said...

Luved d content in ur blog....Rock on dude!!!!!!!hope there r many more coming our way!!!!And yes..before i forget(i've already mentioned this a lot many times)i wanna see(or rather hear in this case)u belting out one of ur compositions for all of us on your show!!!n i guess dis is the least u can do for us!!!

Nayantara said...

I thought Mr. Darwin forgot to mention FM Rainbow as an exception to his Evolution theory. I was wrong after all! :D

Someone else RJ-ed the international music hour, right? Prakash, if I remember right.
Since your station plays only an hour of international music a day, you guys can play the best music without standing the risk of repetition. :)

And yes, I assumed an alias Aishwarya and called you on your show last night. :|
So much for cheap thrills. :P

Great RJing+music. Even the lousy Monaco ads in between cant do much to spoil it. :D

And Nirvana's cover of Seasons in the Sun, if you will. :)

Cheers!

Manasvi. said...

Ungle, Miss Your show. Damn if only you played here. Play me some Yes, Nirvana, Turisas and good old Ozzy.

-Miss Monday